Our rights do not originate with government, but they are to be "secured" by government.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite Replies to Vote Knowledgeably Pledge

A few days ago I blogged about writing to my representatives and asked them to vote knowledgeably or don't vote. Read the entry here

Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite replied, here it is in it's entirity.


Dear Tom:

You and I both recognize the obvious merit in requiring every Member of Congress to read bills before they vote on them. When Democrats came to the majority in Congress, they promised a new era of openness and transparency. So far they have not lived up to that promise. I have pushed for an increase in the amount of time Members have to review bills between their introduction and a vote. I would like to assure you that I fully vet every bill before me before I cast my vote; however the majority has made that nearly impossible.

The most egregious instance of this occurred the same day the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009, H.R. 2454, was sent to the floor of the House for a vote. The majority added 300 pages to the text of the bill at 3:09 a.m., giving Members very little time to review the changes: not even the clerk of the House had a fully assembled copy of the bill. One must wonder why the rush and what are Democrats afraid of? Republican Leader John Boehner shared my outrage at this tactic.

You can view a part of his floor speech by going to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXXZYcaSCeI

Throughout my tenure in public service, I have always kept an open door and an open dialogue with my constituents. As Congress addresses the many challenges facing our nation, I hope you will continue to share your thoughts and views with me. Accordingly, I encourage you to visit my Web site at http://brown-waite.house.gov to email me and find useful information about our 5th Congressional District.

It is my honor and privilege to serve the people of Florida's 5th Congressional District and my offices and staff are here to provide you with any assistance you may need.

Sincerely,

Ginny Brown-Waite
Member of Congress

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add that the honorable congresswoman did not say she would vote no or abstain for voting on bills she hasn't read compleatly.

    ReplyDelete