Our rights do not originate with government, but they are to be "secured" by government.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Congressional Vote Knowledge Pledge

Congress is passing laws that they don’t understand, that the people administering don’t understand, that the people who must comply with them don’t understand. They don’t even read the bills they are voting for.

Why should we the people trust any elected official that are supposed to represent us, who don’t even read what they're voting on? Take the Cash for Clunkers boondoggle; over 136 pages of instructions for car retailers came with this government giveaway. Who in their right mind would vote for such a complicated piece of garbage? We were able to establish the entire constitution, the framework for our entire government, in less than a dozen pages. Obviously the people, who vote for these huge bills either; don’t know what’s in them, don’t want to know what’s in them, or don’t care what’s in them. They obviously don’t want you and me to know what’s in them.

I like using last year’s law to remove lead from children’s toys as an example. One of the unintended consequences of this well meant law was to outlaw small motorcycles and atv's. Millions of families across this nation participate in motor sports. Including children ridding small safe slow motorcycles and atv’s with enough safety gear on to make them look like the StayPuff Marshmallow Man. There is a small amount of lead in the alloy’s that make up engine casings, higher than is allowable in the law, but unlike a small toy there isn’t a rash of 5 year old motorcycle and atv riders chewing on their engines. So we killed a $600 million dollar industry, and hurt a safe sane family activity. Now consider Health Care Reform bill H.R. 3200 is is 1,018 pages long.... who knows what’s hidden in it?

I’m writing a letter to each of my congresspersons and senators asking them to only vote knowledgably about every piece of legislation they vote on. Either vote NO or don’t vote on any legislation that they haven’t read. Please do the same.

Dear (Insert Congressman’s name here),

Thank you for serving our country and specifically me as a constituent. I believe that weather I agree with your political philosophy or not, whether we are in the same party or not, you originally ran for office hoping to help and represent me. You represent me in the legislature and I thank you for that. The laws you vote on are increasingly large and complicated, as my representative I expect you to vote in my best interest. I do not believe you can do so if you don’t fully understand what you are voting for/against. I would have thought that you would study legislation before voting on it. The evidence in the news is that in congress laws have been voted on before they were even printed or sent to the members of Congress, so obviously laws are being voted on without even reading them. Not havingat least read the entirety of a bill I don’t see how you can fully understand what the consequences of that legislation will be, know if it meets the constitutionally limited powers which congress has, or if it will do what you think you’re voting for.

Would you please take a pledge to vote No or abstain from voting on any legislation that you haven’t at least read in its entirety?

I eagerly await your response.
(Your Name, etc. here)

If I get any responses I’ll post them here.

1 comment:

  1. Notice that the honorable congresswoman did not agree to voting no or abstain from voting on bills she hasn't read.

    ReplyDelete