Our rights do not originate with government, but they are to be "secured" by government.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hymn to the Welfare State

"Hymn to the Welfare State"
prepared by "Democrats for Better Government," Rio Grande Valley, Texas, 1964.

Government is my shepherd,

Therfor I need not work

It alloweth me to lie down on a good job.

It leadeth me beside still factories;

It destroyeth my initiative.

It leadeth me in the path of a parasite for politics sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of laziness and deficit-spending,

I will fear no evil, the Government is with me.

It prepareth economic Utopia for me, appropriating earnings of my own grandchildren.

It filleth my head with false security;

My cup runneth over.

Surely the Government should care foe me all the days of my life!

So I shall dwell in a fool's paradise forever.




Editor's Note: We should have listened to them 46 years ago, they were right.

1 comment:

  1. That was penned in 1957.

    To the Editor:
    As a Canadian resident in the United States, I
    receive all the American residents' journals. In one of them I came across the following note which I thought so clever that it should be reprinted in one of the Canadian journals, since we are even closer to the brink of a welfare state than they are in the United States.

    An anonymous, presumably young, wit of the
    Cambridge University Medical Society penned the
    following revision of the most famous Psalm in 1957

    ReplyDelete